Saturday 21 March 2009

UK Jewellery Scammers - time to name and shame

Call me Jack.  I'm a bespoke jeweller in a small town in the UK where I have a shop in the high street.  We are one of the few remaining jewellery manufacturers and we specialize in pearls and rare precious and semi-precious stones and have over 30 years experience in making and valuation of all jewellery.  Additionally, my partner is considered one of the foremost authorities in the field of jewellery history.

So, what prompted me to write this blog?  Its not actually to promote us in any way and the mere fact that I want to remain anonymous is because what I'm about to reveal to the unsuspecting British public would likely get me blacklisted from every jewellery association in the country;  a bit like the "masked magician", if anyone has seen that.

But I don't feel this should be kept under wraps any longer.  Not that I should care what they think - we don't base our business on ripping off our customers, so it probably wouldn't matter that much - still, I like to be anonymous - it gives me a kind of ghostly leverage over those who seek to swindle and perform atrocious acts of daylight robbery.

Thats enough of me.  So what am I talking about?  Jewellery of course, in the more general sense, moreover knowledge and jargon - the science that blinds the public into buying expensive stuff that is way overpriced from high street chains, independent shops, e-shops or even market traders just because the guy behind the counter knows a bit more about the jargon and hides behind a facade of trade secrets that make you, the customer, totally vulnerable to being taken in and sold goods that are simply not worth 5% of what you have paid for them.  

Even huge, reputable (we all assume they are) companies get involved in this terrible mis-selling ... though I suppose I can't be sure they really understand that they are at the root of these dreadful acts as they themselves may be taken in - but I am sure they know a good deal when they get one and they are benefitting from your misfortune at the hands of unscrupulous rip off merchants in posh suits and very expensive shop fits.

These are the "rogue traders" of the jewellery profession and I'm going to name and shame if I find evidence of deceit.  Watch this space!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on this blog, especially if it concerns you personally - we want to hear from you